Wish all the readers of ‘Tiger and Palm Tree’ season’s greetings and best wishes for a happy new year. Please see below the questions in Reserve Bank of India Quiz 2021. I will post the answers next week.
Reserve Bank of India Quiz 2021
- He was considered for the post of Deputy Governor, Reserve Bank of India, but overlooked for being politically ambitious. Later, he became India’s Finance Minister. Who was he?
- Ironically, as struck me recently, the Deputy Governor selected in place of the above was the first to occupy an elected position. He left the Bank to head his party and later his State. Name him. There will be separate posts on both soon.
- Among all the Governors so far, who was the only one to have died in office? A separate post on this Governor is due.
- Which Indian College, perhaps the only one (I will be happy to be corrected), produced three Reserve Bank Governors? I had commented earlier on this while writing on a completely unrelated subject.
- No Kashmiri has as yet become the Governor of the Reserve Bank of India. But, which Governor of the Bank was married to a Kashmiri, who was famous in her own right? Soon, I will have a separate post on her.
- When Mario Draghi became Prime Minister of Italy earlier this year, he was not the first central bank Governor to lead his country. Nor was Manmohan Singh the first. The credit, I believe, goes to this quiet and self-effacing gentleman who incidentally I had the pleasure of meeting once. Name him and the country. (I will be happy to be informed of other instances).
- Before Benegal Rama Rau succeeded C.D. Deshmukh as Governor, Reserve Bank of India, he was an understudy to Deshmukh for some time. He also, in a sense, reported to Deshmukh who became the Finance Minister. This, in my view, was an unusual arrangement, telling on the character of Rama Rau. What was unusual about the arrangement? I will elaborate more in my separate post on Rama Rau.
- Which famous civil servant refused Governorship of the Reserve Bank of India on the grounds that he did not want to be ordered about by his juniors? Maybe he was exaggerating, as the Reserve Bank of India’s official history claims, or justifies. But, if I remember correctly, he had direct experience in this regard.
- Durgabai Deshmukh, wife of C.D. Deshmukh, wrote her memoirs in the 1970s, as did Deshmukh. What was the title of her memoirs?
- Who is the youngest Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of India to date? What was he before joining the Bank?
- Perhaps the closest friend of C.D. Deshmukh in the ICS was N.R. Pillai, the first Cabinet Secretary. As Finance Minister, Deshmukh considered making Pillai a Governor of the Reserve Bank. Apart from being from the same cadre of Central Provinces and Berar, what other unusual fact brought them closer?
- Seven Governors of the Reserve Bank of India had signed one rupee notes as Finance Secretary before they became Governor. Who was the only one to have signed a one rupee note after his tenure as Governor?
- Which Reserve Bank Governor started his career as a “demon,” as they were referred to colloquially, and in jest.
- Who was the only Governor of the Reserve Bank of India from the Indian Audit and Accounts Service?
- Who was the first professional economist to become the Governor of the Reserve Bank? I was wrong on this for a long time.
- Which Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of India was the first from a commercial bank, and in which year?
- Which Reserve Bank Governor started his career at the ICICI?
- Apart from Issue and Banking Departments, the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934, specifically manadated which other Department? The Act was following which country’s example?
- This Reserve Bank Governor was a former student of Harold Laski. Name him.
- Which ‘star pupil’ of John Keynes was the first professional economist at the Reserve Bank of India, and later its first Economic Adviser?
Hope you enjoyed this inaugural Reserve Bank of India Quiz 2021 on my blog. Look forward to receiving answers. Please give comments below.
Best wishes again for a Happy New Year!
Cheers all around,
© G. Sreekumar 2021.
For periodical updates on all my blog posts, subscribe for free at the link below: